10:38 AM

FAA Sets New Requirement for sUAS Operation

Any Civil Air Patrol member who flies a CAP-issued small Unmanned Aerial System recreationally is now required by the Federal Aviation Administration to take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). This applies to all outdoor sUAS STEM Kits (Quadcopter, RC Aircraft and VTOL). 

The test is free and can be taken online through the Academy of Model Aeronautics website by clicking the orange start button on the TRUST page CAP's aerospace education team strongly suggests all members flying sUASes, whether indoor or outdoor, to take the TRUST. 

After completing the course and receiving your completion certificate, you must upload a copy to eServices. You must have your completion certificate on hand when flying an sUAS.

To do this, follow the steps below: 

  1. Click on www.capnhq.gov/CAP.OPSQuals.Web/Pilot/WhatDoINeed.aspx to log into eServices. 
  2. Type in your CAPID, then click the magnifying glass to pull up your profile. 
  3. Click “View/Upload Documents.”.
  4. A new window will pop up; make sure you are in the “Pilot” tab. 
  5. For “What would you like to upload?”, select Other.
  6. For “File Name” identify the document as “Trust Certificate.”
  7. For “Aircraft Type” leave as is. 
  8. Click “Choose File” and add your saved completion certificate. 
  9. Select “Upload Pilot Files.” You should see your document appear at the bottom under “Documents Uploaded” along with the date.

Now your recreational UAS pilot qualification can be checked and documented. More information regarding the new guidelines can be found on the FAA website.