Phelka, National Vice Commander, Visits Air Force Leaders, Illinois Wing Members at Scott AFB
2nd Lt. Austen D. Boettcher
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
Scott Composite Squadron
The Illinois Wing’s Scott Composite Squadron hosted Brig. Gen. Ed Phelka, Civil Air Patrol national vice commander, when he visited Scott Air Force Base on March 20.
Phelka hosted a casual luncheon at the base’s Cardinal Creek Golf Club with 20 cadets and senior members from the Scott and 286th composite squadrons and the Civic Memorial Senior Squadron, all part of Illinois Wing Group One. He spoke with cadets about their favorite parts of CAP and took questions from members.
During the luncheon, Phelka met with the father of Cadet Master Sgt. Jude Hemann of the 205th Composite Squadron in recognition of the cadet’s dedication to Scott Composite Squadron and CAP. Hemann raised nearly $3,000 during the recent cadet 75 for 75 Challenge.
Phelka later met with Col. Leslie Maher, commander of the 375th Air Mobility Wing, Scott Air Force Base’s host unit, along with other Civil Air Patrol unit and group commanders. The roundtable discussion focused on the partnership between local CAP units and Scott as a whole.
Phelka concluded his trip by officiating at Scott Composite’s promotion and awards ceremony.
Those attending the luncheon were:
Lt. Cols. Paul Hertel, Group One commander, and Jacob N. Hiles, Scott Composite Squadron commander
- Capt. Wendy Walsh, 286th Composite Squadron
- Lt. Jeff Fox, Civic Memorial Senior Squadron
- Chief Master Sgt. Robert Dandridge, Missouri Wing command chief master sergeant
- Tech. Sgt. Kristopher Matthews, Scott Composite Squadron
- Staff Sgt. Dawn Kennedy, Scott Composite Squadron
- Senior Member Abbigail Speiser, Scott Composite Squadron
- Cadet 2nd Lt. Jacob Gulick
- Cadet Chief Master Sgt. Xavier Warlick
- Cadet Master Sgt. Jude Hemann and his father, Tony Hemann
- Cadet Airman Lawson Smith