Requirement Removed from Cadet Programs Specialty Track During Pandemic
Cadet Programs Officer Handbook & Specialty Track Guide Change 1
3 September 2020
Due to COVID-19, encampment-related tasks in the Cadet Programs Officer Specialty Track are removed for members who meet the criteria below.
- Senior Rating. The task of serving on encampment staff (page 63, item #47) is removed for those members who:
- Obtained the Cadet Programs Officer Technician Rating after 1 January 2018
- Have fulfilled all other Senior Rating requirements
- Submit their request for the Senior Rating (see section 4 below) by 15 March 2021
- Master Rating. The task of staff service at RCLS, a second encampment, or NCSA / CSA (page 65, #29) is
removed for those members who:
- Obtained the Cadet Programs Officer Senior Rating after 1 January 2018
- Have fulfilled all other Master Rating requirements
- Submit their request for the Master Rating (see section 4 below) by 15 March 2021
- Rationale. These changes are in response to (a) the COVID-19 health emergency that essentially cancelled nearly all encampments in 2020 and (b) the new Volunteer University roll-out which set a deadline on grandfather clauses for senior member promotions. We are attempting to respond fairly to members whose progression has stalled due to circumstances beyond their control, while upholding the integrity of the specialty track program.
- Procedure. Members who qualify for one of the exemptions above will need to request their rating via email. The standard eServices process is not available. Therefore, members will please:
- Complete the Senior or Master Rating tracking sheet (Excel file).
- Show their unit commander that they meet the eligibility criteria of §1 or §2 above.
- For Senior Rating applicants only: Promise to make a good faith effort to provide at least 20 hours’ encamp- ment service in 2021. Members who receive this exemption will need to fulfill the encampment requirement prior to their earning the Master Rating. It is unlikely that CAP will be able to track that exemption via eServices, so some degree of an honor system will be in effect for the small number of people affected.
- Obtain the unit commander’s endorsement of the items above (email is acceptable).
- Submit the items above to the Registrars@capnhq.gov by 15 March 2021, with a courtesy copy to the Wing Director of Cadet Programs. Please use “CP Officer – Senior Rating Encampment Exemption” as the email’s subject.
- Future Requirements. Except for the narrow set of cases identified above, encampment-related service remains a requirement for the Senior Rating (page 63, item #47) and Master Rating (page 65, #29).